Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The actual structure and purpose of the "church"

Yes...it is a theological debate...

Well, I am having some issues with the "church"!! I am not 100% happy...ok - I am not 25% happy with the direction of most churches in North America (this is my frame of reference)!!

I have been watching for the last number of years the decline in numbers...the decline in religious education, the decline in a number of areas...while watching some churches (I use that term loosely) flourish and seem to be growing in numbers...actually they are growing in every way...OR ARE THEY???

Traveling as I have, and seeing the number of churches I have...I have an interesting perspective. So I thought instead of "pontificating" as I usually do...I will be doing my study and writing my own thesis as to what I find as I carefully study the Bible and diggin' into what the scriptures actually say!! (what a concept)

I will tell you my perspective as I go into this study...so we can together see what my perspective is as we finish the study...MY GOAL IS TO FIND TRUTH!! Not to prove my point or any point for that matter...I want to be open and honest enough to seek the truth - even if I am...i need to say it...WRONG (as if that will happen!! LOL)

SO - my starting perspective is...
I believe that the church exists for the discipleship of the saints. Those that have decided to follow Christ! The church does not exist (as a unit of believers) to win the city for God! The church unit exists to educate, disciple, encourage, discipline and hold accountable those that have chosen to follow Jesus Christ!
I am convinced that we feel the church is there to save people. We are encouraged to bring our "un-saved" friends to church and they will find Christ!! We plan our services so that the "un-churched" or seekers will be more comfortable and not be offended...
My suggestion...and the perspective I have now is this...The church needs to train and teach the saints about who Jesus is and why we believe what we believe...Teach Apologetics!!! Then together, encourage one another to effect those we work, live and deal with everyday!! Build relationships with people...be witnesses to all we have contact with and allow the Holy Spirit to do his work of convicting the lost of their sin and wooing them unto Himself...

Ok I said it...there is more...but you get the idea. That is my current perspective!! I am not suggesting that it is correct, but I hope to be as transparent as possible and as humble as possible as I seek to find the truth in this matter!!

JAMES 1:27 - looking after the orphans and the widows...are we encouraging each other to do that? Are we encouraging each other to LOVE like Christ loved...or are we seeking something else???

This will be an interesting time...Please - no HATE comments. This is an open and honest blog of reflection and debate. I am NO theological scholar and I seek to be understood BUT I also want to understand other ideas and thoughts as we TOGETHER explore the biblical backing for why the church exists!!

No comments: